If
friendship is encouragement, support and wanting the best for another person,
then a writer’s critique group can be the best example of friends. Of course
that depends on the group. Our small group started before 1995. It’s changed
over the years. People have come and gone, much the same as any group of
friends. I might never have known the joy of being in a group like this if it
wasn’t for my mom.
My mother
was born in Scotland. Maybe it’s the culture that keeps alive the artistry of
story telling, but my mom definitely had the gift. From childhood she’d entertain me with
stories from her past. My mind would wander through highland glens or the halls
of ancient castles. In my teens she’d always have cookies or scones for my
afterschool friends, and more often then not, someone would get her to tell a
story about her past. I know, it’s hard to imagine a group of high school teens
enthralled by the tale of tough Canadian Commandos, who were afraid to return
to their base because the place was haunted.
As an adult
I knew she was born to write. I was just along for the ride. Literally. Like
many World War II survivors, some commonplace things, like learning to drive,
didn’t happen. So I was her company and her transportation. And she was the
writer. We took classes together, and we joined this writer’s group. Now I
wonder if it wasn’t so much me doing this for her, as much as my mum giving me
the gift of telling a good story to friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment